TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

In TurboTax CD/Download, how do I submit my return to the CRA using NETFILE?

SOLVEDby TurboTax113Updated January 04, 2024

When the CRA’S NETFILE service is open, you can submit any of your completed tax returns from the past four years to the CRA. When submitted, TurboTax will display your NETFILE confirmation code.

Check your NETFILE eligibility to use the CRA’s NETFILE service. If you're eligible, follow the steps below in TurboTax until you get the NETFILE confirmation code, as it’s your guarantee that your return was received. Save this number for your records.

If you haven’t completed the Review section of your return, complete that first. If you’re in Forms mode, switch to EasyStep mode by selecting EasyStep from the TurboTax menu.

1. Select Find and enter review.
  2. Select Review your tax return and then select Go.
  3. On the Great, you’ve entered all of your tax information step, select Start Review.
  4. Follow the instructions to complete your review, which is complete when you land on the You are ready to file step.

Note: On the Review: Warnings step, select Review for each item listed until they clear.

If you’re in Forms mode, switch to EasyStep mode by selecting EasyStep from the TurboTax menu.

1. Select Find and enter NETFILE.
  2. Select NETFILE or print and then select Go.
  3. On the You are ready to file step, locate the return you want to file and select Start.
    • If you’ve prepared a return for your spouse/partner together with yours, each return will need to be filed separately. Locate and select Start for the return you’d like to file first. After a return is submitted, TurboTax will bring you back to this step so you can file the second return.
    • If you live in Québec, you can electronically file both your federal (CRA) and Québec (RQ) returns. To file only one at this time, locate the return (federal return or Québec return) you want to file and select Start.
  4. On the Prepare to File Your Federal Return step, select I want to submit my return to CRA’S NETFILE service and then select Continue. If you owe money, follow the instructions regarding your tax balance owing, and TurboTax will bring you to the next step.
  5. On the Do you want to register for CRA’s online mail? step, select the option you prefer and then select Continue.
  6. On the Get your refund fast with direct deposit step, select the option you prefer and then select Continue.
  7. On the NETFILE your Return to the CRA step, read the NETFILE Terms and Conditions and Privacy Notice.
  8. If you agree to the terms and conditions, select Agree NETFILE My Return.
  9. On the Certify Personal Info before filing with the CRA step, select Continue. TurboTax then submits your return to the CRA.
  10. On the Great news! step, locate the CRA NETFILE confirmation number. If your return was successfully received by the CRA, TurboTax will display a confirmation number. Until you get a CRA confirmation number, you haven't successfully filed.
  11. If you prepared a return for your spouse/partner with yours, follow the instructions and TurboTax will bring you back to the You are ready to file step. Repeat Steps 3 to 10 to file your spouse/partner’s return.

Note: If your return isn't accepted by the CRA when you try to file, TurboTax will display an error message and/or error code explaining why your return wasn't accepted. Depending on the error you receive, you may be able to resolve the error and try submitting to NETFILE again.

More like this

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads