Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ronthrall

2016 death of infant 2 mos post birth, declared on 2016 taxes as dependant - how do you declare death of same child on 2017 taxes? Or, do you simply 'delete' dependant?

Granddaughter born 5/16; passed away 7/16

Helping my son file he/wife's taxes. Declared dependant on 2016 tax form, how do you now declare DEATH of infant on 2017 tax forms?

Need to file - refund is expected according to turbotax, but am stuck on this one detail.

The only option I see under "dependant" is DELETE or EDIT. Under edit, it does not offer any detail/correction/edit for death.  

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

2016 death of infant 2 mos post birth, declared on 2016 taxes as dependant - how do you declare death of same child on 2017 taxes? Or, do you simply 'delete' dependant?

I am sorry to hear about the passing of your grandchild.

You will simply not enter the child on their income tax return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I am sorry to hear about the passing of your grandchild.

You will simply not enter the child on their income tax return.

ronthrall

Thank you!

You're welcome!