Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where should i claim my post secondary dependent

ghter as a dependent as i support her financailly. i checked the dependent box.i have only t5007 and t4ap slips. but it says i do not qualify for free turbo. maybe i should put my child in different area of return as she is a colege student or do i claim her as a spouse/

ontario canada

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

A post-secondary student generally cannot be claimed as a child dependant as they were over 18 years old on 31 December. Nor can they be claimed as spouse or spousal equivalent ( 'eligible dependant').
The exception would be if the student had a mental or physical infirmity, or is registered with a disability by CRA.

Whether you financial support the student or not is irrelevant when it comes to dependant credit.

You should identify that you have a student depedant in your introductory questions and in the Profile section of EasyStep interview. This enables Tuition credit to be transferred to you if relevant.

Your student needs to complete a 2014 tax return in order to claim Tuition credit and determine how much of that credit could be transferred to you or carried forward to next year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

A post-secondary student generally cannot be claimed as a child dependant as they were over 18 years old on 31 December. Nor can they be claimed as spouse or spousal equivalent ( 'eligible dependant').
The exception would be if the student had a mental or physical infirmity, or is registered with a disability by CRA.

Whether you financial support the student or not is irrelevant when it comes to dependant credit.

You should identify that you have a student depedant in your introductory questions and in the Profile section of EasyStep interview. This enables Tuition credit to be transferred to you if relevant.

Your student needs to complete a 2014 tax return in order to claim Tuition credit and determine how much of that credit could be transferred to you or carried forward to next year.