Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glenfar
Returning Member

Abort a Refile (desktop version)

I have the desktop version of Turbotax - I did the netfile a couple weeks ago, but my employer messed up my T4. So I have to go in and do a Refile. Unfortunately I apparently messed up the process ... I gather (now) that I'm supposed to start the Refile process THEN make my changes. I made my changes first ...

So now when I go to Refile, it tells me there's no changes. Not sure if I should just 'Refile' that, but I'm assuming it wouldn't send the right data to CRA.

What I want to do is abort the Refile, revert my changes - then start the Refile process over again (in the right order this time). But I can't find anyway to do that!

7 Replies
SylL
Returning Member

The refile is treated like a separate return.  You can delete it by clicking the trash can.  Go back to the original file and click the refile button which appears beside the name of the file.  When you do that it creates a separate return.  Click copy and it brings all current information in then make t he changes

glenfar
Returning Member

Are you sure you're talking about the desktop version? I've see that suggestion before for the online version, but on the desktop version I don't see a trash can, and I certainly don't see that it created a separate return.

tdibratt
Returning Member

I am having a similar problem on desktop version.  I changed my return after EFILE.  I received a T5 slip late.  The NETFILE process hung up and aborted.  Now when I go in and try again TT thinks the old EFILE and new EFILE are the same values so it does not show me the changes.  How do I fix this?

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

Bruce1716

So one year later, TurboTax has still not addressed this issue.

I Netfiled 3 weeks ago, realized I missed inputing some income, so hit "change a return" with the result that the NEW figure entered shows up in the "old amount" column and thus the change is NIL.

I spent 50 minutes online with technician trying to solve.

Bottom line:  Nothing can be done as TurboTax somehow recorded the  new amount as an old amount and thinks that amount was netfiled - which it was not.

We concluded that I needed to contract CRA myself to resolve - and not use TurboTax. 

TurboTax has an obvious bug but they have still, despite this thread being a year old, have not addressed it leaving thier customers out to hang.

Sigh . . . 

SylL
Returning Member

Thanks for bringing this forward. Guess they are more interested in jamming up the prices

would a T1adjustment work?  Simple - only one line to complete. Choose a free program for a simple return - CRA has a list

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and have shared this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.