Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ycloutier

My son is Autistic and I am a single father. I claim him as a dependent. Are there any other claims that I am allowed due to the fact that he has special needs?

I have filed  the form for special needs T2201 I think

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My son is Autistic and I am a single father. I claim him as a dependent. Are there any other claims that I am allowed due to the fact that he has special needs?

As a single parent, you can claim the eligible dependant credit for your son. It's the new name for the old "equivalent to married" credit. You'll find that in the Dependant's section of your return. You can also claim the Canada Caregiver Amount for him (also in the dependants section).

Until the T2201 has been approved by CRA, you shouldn't claim the disability amount transfer. Once it is approved, you can make adjustments to your return to claim the transfer.

For more info on disability-related credits and benefits, here's a good guide from CRA: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/segments/tax-credits-deductions-per...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

As a single parent, you can claim the eligible dependant credit for your son. It's the new name for the old "equivalent to married" credit. You'll find that in the Dependant's section of your return. You can also claim the Canada Caregiver Amount for him (also in the dependants section).

Until the T2201 has been approved by CRA, you shouldn't claim the disability amount transfer. Once it is approved, you can make adjustments to your return to claim the transfer.

For more info on disability-related credits and benefits, here's a good guide from CRA: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/segments/tax-credits-deductions-per...