Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim my own children as dependents for the eligible dependent credit?

1 Reply

Can I claim my own children as dependents for the eligible dependent credit?

Thanks for your question. The eligible dependant credit helps single adults who are financially responsible for a dependant. Each household can make only one claim and the amount of the credit is reduced by your dependant's net income. 

You may be able to claim the amount for an eligible dependant if you met all of the following criteria at the same time during the tax year:

• you did not live with a spouse or common-law partner;
  • you did not financially support or receive financial support from a spouse or common-law partner;
  • you supported a dependant who was one of the following; and
    • your parent or grandparent by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, or adoption; or
    • your child, grandchild, or sibling by blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption and under 18 years of age. If the dependent was older than 18, they must have had an impairment in physical or mental functions.
  • your dependant lived with you in a home that you maintained (in most cases in Canada). You cannot claim this amount for someone who was only visiting you.

You can claim this amount for the full year, even if you met the eligibility criteria for only part of the year.

The amount for an eligible dependant cannot be split between two parents.

Once you claim this amount for a dependant, no one else is allowed to claim this amount for that dependant, or the amount for an infirm dependant for the same.

Please click here for more information.