Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grayvie11

Can I claim orthodonist expenses for daughter (shared custody) even though I don't claim her as a dependent?

My daughter is 14 years old and I have shared custody of her.  She lives with me 3 days a week.  My ex wife claims my daughter as a dependent. My daughter is covered by my extended dental and medical benefits from my employer.  Can I claim the uninsured portion (i.e. the portion I paid) for her dental braces? 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim orthodonist expenses for daughter (shared custody) even though I don't claim her as a dependent?

Yes you can claim these expenses, provided no-one else has, and that the expenses are eligible. You need receipts for amounts claimed, which would be any un-reimbursed costs.

You may be advised to claim for your daughter as a separate dependant, with credit on line 331 not line 330 of your schedule 1. This men's that 3% of her Net Income will be deducted, not 3%  of your Net Income. 

The downside to that approach is that you have to claim your own Medical credit (if any) separately on line 330 of your schedule 1.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes you can claim these expenses, provided no-one else has, and that the expenses are eligible. You need receipts for amounts claimed, which would be any un-reimbursed costs.

You may be advised to claim for your daughter as a separate dependant, with credit on line 331 not line 330 of your schedule 1. This men's that 3% of her Net Income will be deducted, not 3%  of your Net Income. 

The downside to that approach is that you have to claim your own Medical credit (if any) separately on line 330 of your schedule 1.