Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my husband claim spouse credit if I file my own tax return.

I am filing my own personal tax return for 2014. I am only claiming T4A (P) amount of 8613.48. I am also filing Final tax return for my husband deceased 2014. Can spouse amount be claimed on his return too?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Sally71

Yes, you can claim the spouse amount, it will be reduced by your net income.

This is the guide for final tax return, the year of death should you have more questions: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4011/t4011-14e.pdf 

Also, if you have a lot of medical expenses, you can claim two years, providing that you not claim any expenses, worth of medical expenses on the final tax return.  This is a special tax rule applicable only on the year of death of tax return.

One more thing, the death benefit you receive from CPP, is to be claim only on the beneficiary tax return, or the estate tax return, if you are planning on doing one.  Any income you receive address to your husband, after his death is to be included on the estate tax return.

Feel free to post your questions, if you have some more.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Sally71

Yes, you can claim the spouse amount, it will be reduced by your net income.

This is the guide for final tax return, the year of death should you have more questions: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4011/t4011-14e.pdf 

Also, if you have a lot of medical expenses, you can claim two years, providing that you not claim any expenses, worth of medical expenses on the final tax return.  This is a special tax rule applicable only on the year of death of tax return.

One more thing, the death benefit you receive from CPP, is to be claim only on the beneficiary tax return, or the estate tax return, if you are planning on doing one.  Any income you receive address to your husband, after his death is to be included on the estate tax return.

Feel free to post your questions, if you have some more.