turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally checked the box stating nobody else can claim me as a dependent, how much will that affect my refund verses my mom's refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

59 Replies

I accidentally checked the box stating nobody else can claim me as a dependent, how much will that affect my refund verses my mom's refund?

Did you say you could not be claimed as someone else’s dependent, but it turns out your parent(s) can claim you?  Now your parents’ return is being rejected when they e-file, or it will be rejected.  That means your parents must print, sign, and mail their return.  They can still claim you as a dependent, but they cannot e-file now.  

Your part in fixing this is to wait until your return has been fully processed and you have received you refund.  THEN you need to file an amended return, called a 1040X, to change the way you answered that question in Personal Info about whether you can be claimed as someone else’s dependent.  You will have to print and mail the 1040X—it cannot be e-filed. You might need to repay some of your refund.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061514-how-do-i-amend-a-2016-return-in-turbotax

Note:  The difference is that when you are claimed as someone else's dependent, you lose the $4050 personal exemption, which losers the amount of income you are taxed on.  So any income you received over $6300 is taxable.The person who claimed you gets that exemption, which lowers the amount of income they are taxed on.  It is not a refund. 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Does this still have to be done if the dependents income was only around 2,000?  I am pretty sure he answered no to the question.  I am thinking maybe I should not claim him at this point.  However I want to be sure that the low income doesn't make thing different.  

He filed through turbo tax.  Is there a specific place he can look to verify if he did answer no to this question?

He can look up near the top half  of his Form 1040 below his name and address---there is a box that would be checked if he said he could be claimed as a dependent.

If you child can be claimed as your dependent and did not check this box, then you will not be able toe-file.  Your return claiming him will be rejected and you will have to print, sign and mail your own return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I checked no, that I couldn’t be claimed as a dependent but I should’ve click yes. My refunded was accepted and so was my parents. What do I do??

I checked no, that I couldn’t be claimed as a dependent but I should’ve click yes. My refunded was accepted and so was my parents. What do I do??

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Since your return has been accepted, you can amend it. Please click How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed to learn more. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It doesn’t give me the option to amend my 2019 return through TurboTax online.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

You will want to wait longer until your return has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  Then you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You will need to use Form 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed in.

Bob_in_VA
Returning Member

I just had my e-filed return rejected because my daughter e-filed her taxes before I did and she accidentally forgot to check the box that said she would be claimed as my dependent. Her income was low enough so that it did not affect her refund either way, but if I can not claim her, it makes a $500 difference on my taxes and changes my return from a refund to me owing tax.

My question is: Once she receives her refund and mails in an amended return with the correction about her being my dependent on form 1040X, is it possible for me to wait a few weeks and then e-file my return again, but leave everything the same as it was when they just rejected my return?

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Yes,  You will need to have your daughter file an amended return to indicate that she is the dependent of another person.  You do not need to wait for her refund.  You will need to print, sign, date and mail the return in according to the instructions that will print out with the amended return.

It will take 8-16 weeks for the IRS to process her amended return once it is sent in, only after her amended return has processed can you file your return without it being rejected.

On the form 1040X, which part do I fill out to indicate I can be claimed as a defendant by one other person?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You will fill out  Part I Exemptions and Dependents lines 24 through 30 on Form 1040X to indicate that you could be claimed by another individual.

Bob_in_VA
Returning Member

Wow! 8-16 weeks seems like an eternity.... I recalculated my taxes without claiming my daughter as a dependent, and it does make exactly a $500 difference on my federal return (the child tax credit) but it only lowers my state refund by about $45 and the state is a MUCH larger refund, over $3,000

Would it be really confusing if I go ahead and file my taxes now without claiming my daughter, then let the 8-16 weeks of time pass from when she mails in her amended return, and then I can file an amended return to have her added as a qualifying dependent?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can do that, if you don't mind the extra hassle of filing an amended return yourself.

Note that the $500 credit is probably the Credit for Other Dependents (I assume your daughter is 17 or older).

And if I understand your situation, you will get some of your refund when you file the first time and even more when you file the second time, right? I just want to make sure that you don't spend all of your refund from the first filing if you may have to pay for the second. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies