Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I claim seperate or joint in first year of marriage if we both have dependants from prior relationships but we're single the whole year til we were married?

Do i claim taxes together or separate within first year of marriage both with children from other relationships. Married Oct13 but not commonlaw before and both of us were single with me having joint/equal custody of my 2 daughters and with her having 75% custody of her sons. So we would claim a single dependent each? Claim singly or no?

1 Reply

Do I claim seperate or joint in first year of marriage if we both have dependants from prior relationships but we're single the whole year til we were married?

This FAQ may help you decide whether to prepare your returns together: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2648033

As for who "claims" the kids, it would depend on a number of factors, and what credit you are referring to. For example, if you paid medical expenses for your spouse's children, you can claim those expenses on your return, if they are under 18.