Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
devynnjq

Do I file as 'married' if I am married to a US citizen who lives/works in America?

I've filed as single the past two years.
Because of Covid-19 I did not return back to Canada - am I allowed to file? Do I post my residency as my US address?
1 Reply

Do I file as 'married' if I am married to a US citizen who lives/works in America?

Yes, if you are married, even to someone who is not Canadian or in Canada, you would still set your marital status to “Married”. You will be required to provide some information about them on your tax return. You can use all zeros as their social insurance number (SIN) number. Please see the TurboTax FAQ “What if I don't know my spouse's income?” for information on what to enter for your spouse’s income if you don’t know it.

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) bases its tax obligations on your residency status. If you are unsure of your residency status, you will need to contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and confirm it with them. If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere, you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: Contact the Canada Revenue Agency

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thank You,