Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rod-wadel

Do I have to claim my 17 year olds income of 4800 dollars on my taxes if I’m claiming her as a dependant?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I have to claim my 17 year olds income of 4800 dollars on my taxes if I’m claiming her as a dependant?

The child would claim their income on their own tax return, if they are filing one. Then on your return you would report their Net Income (T1, line 236) and any Non-refundable tax credits (Schedule 1, sum of lines 3 to 22) they may have gotten on their return.

If they are not filing a return, then you can estimate their Net Income if they have a T4 by subtracting any amounts included in Boxes 20 and Box 44 from box 14. If they have no T4, then you can put the full amount as their Net Income.

Do minors (children under 18) have to file a tax return? https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647644

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The child would claim their income on their own tax return, if they are filing one. Then on your return you would report their Net Income (T1, line 236) and any Non-refundable tax credits (Schedule 1, sum of lines 3 to 22) they may have gotten on their return.

If they are not filing a return, then you can estimate their Net Income if they have a T4 by subtracting any amounts included in Boxes 20 and Box 44 from box 14. If they have no T4, then you can put the full amount as their Net Income.

Do minors (children under 18) have to file a tax return? https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647644

Renato54
Returning Member

I am using on line Turbotax, how do I report income for minor who is dependent at the same time?