Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leon019

My son (Leon Edward Tutka) and my dad (Leon Tutka) have the same name and it won't let me file my son's income tax? How can I file my son's income tax?

I am filing my son's income tax for the first time and it wont let me send it (it says not his first time)?  My son (Leon Edward Tutka) and my dad (Leon Tutka) have the same name?  How can I correct this...my son's birth date is May 25th, 2000 and my dad's birth date is April 22nd, 1927?  Can u please help me straighten this out?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My son (Leon Edward Tutka) and my dad (Leon Tutka) have the same name and it won't let me file my son's income tax? How can I file my son's income tax?

First time filers born in Canada may not have had a CRA master file created yet, so cannot file electronically. The solution is to mail in a paper return the first time. In next year's your son will be able to NetFile.

The naming co-incidence doesn't matter, but you should always use your son's name as shown on his SIN card, SIN letter or Notice of Assessment. That will be the name CRA has on file.

Newcomers generally today have their master files at CRA established after entry when they becom resident for tax purposes, so can NetFile or EFILE first time.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

First time filers born in Canada may not have had a CRA master file created yet, so cannot file electronically. The solution is to mail in a paper return the first time. In next year's your son will be able to NetFile.

The naming co-incidence doesn't matter, but you should always use your son's name as shown on his SIN card, SIN letter or Notice of Assessment. That will be the name CRA has on file.

Newcomers generally today have their master files at CRA established after entry when they becom resident for tax purposes, so can NetFile or EFILE first time.