Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I claimed my father last year. He is now in a nursing home. Can i still claim him as a dependant? Can I claim his prescriptions as I am the one that pays for them.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I claimed my father last year. He is now in a nursing home. Can i still claim him as a dependant? Can I claim his prescriptions as I am the one that pays for them.

Hello,

You may not be able to claim him as a dependent as one of the requirements to claim this credit is that the dependent has to be living with the taxpayer. Therefore, if they are not listed as your dependent, you will not be able to claim medical expenses for them. Please visit the following CRA link for more information:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/305/lgbl-eng.html

Never post your license key, customer number or any other sensitive information.

Hiraa | Technical Support and Services, Intuit ProFile Canada

Intuit | Simplify the business of life

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Hello,

You may not be able to claim him as a dependent as one of the requirements to claim this credit is that the dependent has to be living with the taxpayer. Therefore, if they are not listed as your dependent, you will not be able to claim medical expenses for them. Please visit the following CRA link for more information:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/305/lgbl-eng.html

Never post your license key, customer number or any other sensitive information.

Hiraa | Technical Support and Services, Intuit ProFile Canada

Intuit | Simplify the business of life