Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi - Netfiled my taxes, however noticed after that turbotax incorrectly suggested allocating medical expenses to spouse. I need to correct this. Please help?

10 Replies

Hi - Netfiled my taxes, however noticed after that turbotax incorrectly suggested allocating medical expenses to spouse. I need to correct this. Please help?

Even if you already Netfiled, you can still make an adjustment but first wait till you receive you Notice of Assessment.

For guidance please see our TurboTax article: How to Change Your Tax Return After You’ve Filed

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I understand that, but when I am trying out the refile option now in turbotax (without actually wanting to submit yet) and go through the 'medical expense profile' it doesn't prompt me to choose who to claim under anymore. It seems locked, and was only available the first time doing the profile. 

How would I change this and reallocate who the medical expenses go under?

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. 

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I just spent 2 hours on the phone and have probably experienced the most waste of time in my life. The "Support" tried to make it seem they understood the issue, but had no idea what is going on. She was constantly looping back thinking everything is fixed and asking me if its okay.  Ridiculous service, this is embarrassing and would advise anyone on this issue to not waste your time with TurboTax support. 

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

jc159

Did you find a solution? I am having the identical issue

jc159

@TurboTaxSusan @TurboTaxGinette Is there a solution for this? I am having the same issue through refile using turbotax online. I am unable to choose who I allocate the medical expenses claim under. It is defaulting to the higher earner and negatively impacting my tax return. As OP @bobesz mentioned, it is skipping the steps that allow that choice once you enter the new claim amount, regardless of whether it's claimed as a total or inserted each receipt individually. I have been on hold with Manesh from the help line for over 30 minutes so far and he has been unable to find a solution. Extremely frustrating and wasteful of your customers and employees time. Why are we unable to go through the deductions section step by step in REFILE?! The most frustrating thing is this is 100% a software issue and has absolutely nothing to do with taxation. I know what I want to do, the software just won't allow me to access the area to make the choice. 

@jc159 If you are still having this issue, we can have someone call you to help troubleshoot further. If you would like a callback, please let us know if you would prefer to be called in the AM or the PM.

Hi, I have this happen to me as well and trying to use the Refile but the screen for assigning which spouse can use the medical expenses is not there. How to find it?