Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can you fix a TT401 error?

I have tried saving with Save, and with Save As...I tried to save on my hard drive and also on memory stick. I get the same answers each time. I have enough memory 

This was working fine until my last update. \

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Please try saving the file to a different location on your hard drive or with a different name. You can do this by choosing File> Save As from the top left corner.

You can also try renaming the .ttbk file to .tt18 – the .ttbk is the backup file, and it may have save the changes you made to your file.

Also, if you installed the software from the CD, to prevent further issues, you should uninstall it and then use the download from our website to reinstall the software. You can download TurboTax from here: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3001486

Unfortunately, if you can't save it, you'll have to start over. If the return is close to being finished, you can also try NETFILE it. You won't have the file, but you can save the PDF archive at least.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Please try saving the file to a different location on your hard drive or with a different name. You can do this by choosing File> Save As from the top left corner.

You can also try renaming the .ttbk file to .tt18 – the .ttbk is the backup file, and it may have save the changes you made to your file.

Also, if you installed the software from the CD, to prevent further issues, you should uninstall it and then use the download from our website to reinstall the software. You can download TurboTax from here: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3001486

Unfortunately, if you can't save it, you'll have to start over. If the return is close to being finished, you can also try NETFILE it. You won't have the file, but you can save the PDF archive at least.

Do you seriously think this is a sufficient response? There is no problem of disk space, this is a bogus error and you should fix or certainly refund our payments.
tont
Level 1

I agree with Bob38, you guys screwed up you should fix the error not us or refund our money so we can purchase Ufile !

tont

tont
Level 1

No Kim, your response is not satisfactory FIX THE PROBLEM.

gfudge

If i download off line won't I be charged again for software I already installed ? I have some returns done and data saved for those , am I going to lost everything I have done ? This happened after an upgrade today , is there a fix on the way ?

Hi:

I am using the CD version. However, because my computer has no optical drive, I had to download the installation file from the Intuit website, as you've suggested.

The install went smoothly, but I get the TT401 error when I try to save my file and if I try "save as" I get a different error message saying the filename I'm saving does not exist. (Of course it doesn't exist! I'm in the process of creating it.)

In all my years I've never experienced a problem with TurboTax until now. I haven't seen a solution or a workaround that works.

Apparently, Windows Defender can interfere with TurboTax being able to access folders. This is why the TT401 error occurs.  It requires changing permissions in Windows Defender to allow TurboTax to save files.

The suggestions about saving to another device or re-installing by downloading from Intuit don't address the root cause of this problem and shame on Intuit for not mentioning this in this thread and others dealing with this issue.

russ2235

This is caused by Windows Defender blocking access to folder.

Give permission in Defender for Turbotax to access folder.

Long overdue for Intuit to fix this issue

Thanks RUSS 2235.

I gave the permission as suggested in Windows Defender. It seems to be working. I am not yet certain.

Intuit's lack of help has turned me off the product, however. I have been phoning their "Help Line". It has been busy all hours of the day. I wonder if this problem is what people are calling about? Why can't they provide a fix? It is irresponsible. I will be looking for a working alternative.