Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change my marital status back to 'Single' and have the spousal information clear?

1 Reply

How do I change my marital status back to 'Single' and have the spousal information clear?

Use the following steps to change your marital status in the online version of TurboTax:

1. Select Find (the magnifying glass icon) from the TurboTax menu, type Marital Status, then select Go.
  2. On the What’s your marital status step, change your status (and enter the date of change if the change happened during the tax year), then select Continue.

If you're being prevented from changing your marital status in TurboTax, it is likely due to how you've chosen to prepare your return.

Additionally, it is very important to let the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) know about any changes to keep your account up to date.

NOTE:

If you have changed your marital status during the tax year, you can start your return (self) and file separately, but you will have to enter the ex-spouse/ex-common-law partner's information and enter the separation date. 

If you have been separated for more than a year, you file a separate tax return and you don't need to enter your ex's information.

If you have already started filing your return and your partner's return then decided to file a separate return, unfortunately, you will not be able to delete the partner's return or remove the information. You will need to start a new return to file a separate return.

For more information, please see:

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us