EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How do I claim spouse as dependent? It worked every year prior to this year (2014), and I can not see where to enter it. My spouses income is zero. Thanks.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I claim spouse as dependent? It worked every year prior to this year (2014), and I can not see where to enter it. My spouses income is zero. Thanks.

Your spouse is not a dependant for CRA purposes. You can only claim spousal credit if your spouse earns less than the personal credit amount for 2014.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Your spouse is not a dependant for CRA purposes. You can only claim spousal credit if your spouse earns less than the personal credit amount for 2014.

View solution in original post

From the Canada Website
"Line 303 - Spouse or common-law partner amount
You can claim this amount if, at any time in the year, you supported your spouse or common-law partner and his or her net income was less than $11,138. However, if you claimed the family caregiver amount for your spouse or common-law partner, his or her net income must be less than $13,196. Calculate your amount on line 303 of your Schedule 5, Amounts for Spouse or Common-Law Partner and Dependants.

Enter the information about your spouse or common-law partner in the "Identification" area on page 1 of your return if you were married or living common-law on December 31, 2014. In certain situations, your spouse's or common-law partner's net income must be stated even if your marital status has changed. See "Net income of spouse or common-law partner" below.

Both of you cannot claim this amount for each other for the same year.

If you had to make support payments to your current or former spouse or common-law partner, and you were separated for only part of 2014 because of a breakdown in your relationship, you have a choice. You can claim the deductible support amounts paid in the year to your spouse or common-law partner on line 220 of your return, or an amount on line 303 of your Schedule 1, Federal Tax, for your spouse or common-law partner, whichever is better for you. If you reconciled with your spouse or common-law partner before the end of 2014, you can claim an amount on line 303 and any allowable amounts on line 326 of your Schedule 1.

Remember to claim the corresponding provincial or territorial non-refundable tax credit to which you are entitled, on line 5812 of your provincial or territorial Form 428."

So I supported my spouse (dependent even though not in those words anymore), so how do I claim this.
The online program is not working properly.
Thanks

having the same issue this year; not claiming her as a dependent and her income was zero. Worked every year up until now.

Yes, I've tried everything, looks like a bug in the program.
Can somebody tell us how to fix this please??

Even went back and looked at my returns to make sure I wasn't losing my mind; last year it was fine. And to further validate that there's something wrong with the online program I went to U-File online and replicated the EXACT same data... Guess what? IT WORKED no problem. This could have cost me thousands and someone needs to fix it.

Unfortunately I already paid for Turbo Tax 2014 Premium.  I wonder if I'll get my money back??

If you bought a downloaded copy it might be tougher but they should still stand behind their product. I do all of mine online and don't pay until i'm happy and ready to file. In this case, I'll be filing with U-File unless they correct this. However, if it saves you thousands it might be worth eating the cost of premium and going somewhere else.

Calm down for a minute!
Thanks for repeating the CRA guidelines, they are exactly as I stated in my answer.
Be assured, direct from CRA training and tax legislation, your spouse is not and never has been a dependant for tax purposes. I have to say I have not yet used Turbotax 2014 on-line yet, so yes there may be a glitch. If that is the case, it will certainly be fixed in order for CRA to certify the product for Netfiling. Suggest you go back and check your entries though...

Ok im calm!!!
Supporting a spouse is suppose to be calculated automatically.
I did the review, found the error, but I am unable to edit it to correct it.
The side by side 2013 -- 2014 makes it easy to catch the error.
Maybe I should just wait a week or two to see if the error is correct in the program??