Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I figure out if I am eligible to file for my daughter as a dependant? I was separated Nov '16, divorce finalized April 17 and am now in a common law as of Dec '17?

So, according to turbotax I only qualify for this credit if at some point in 2017 I was separated (check) and divorced (check), however I am now in a common law relationship as of December 2017. Unfortunately there is only one box to add this information to and I don't know which date to use. Thank you in advance for your help!
1 Reply

How do I figure out if I am eligible to file for my daughter as a dependant? I was separated Nov '16, divorce finalized April 17 and am now in a common law as of Dec '17?

In order to claim the Eligible Dependant Amount for your daughter in TurboTax Online, you will need to;

1. In the Marital Status section of the Setting Up interview, select Living common-law.
  2. Then say "Yes" to the question, "did you become common-law in 2017" and enter the date. (Your Marital Status before the change should be Divorced".
  3. Then proceed to Deductions tab > Claims for Dependants > Amount for Eligible Dependant. 
  4. Click "Enter Credit Info" for your daughter, and make sure the "Amount for Eligible Dependant" is checked off.
  5. If you are unsure if you qualify, click Guide Me. Otherwise answer "Yes, claim on my return". 
  6. When you go through the Review process, under Tax Savings Opportunities/Warnings/Errors, you will be prompted to verify your daughter's net income. You must specify if it is "Zero" or enter an amount in the box.