Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to file for deceased?

how to start file for deceased?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When you start a New return using TurboTax Online, on the first-page state you are preparing a return for "someone else", then a screen will appear asking if "Are you preparing this return for someone who passed away?".

Then follow the prompts to enter the remaining details as shown in the screenshot.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

When you start a New return using TurboTax Online, on the first-page state you are preparing a return for "someone else", then a screen will appear asking if "Are you preparing this return for someone who passed away?".

Then follow the prompts to enter the remaining details as shown in the screenshot.

phb214

I am using a purchased turbotax. Form 1032 does not work. I know I must submit a paper return for my deceased partner and I am trying to submit efile for my return by filling out both returns on turbotax but only submitting mine by efile.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

You have to file separate returns for you and your partner. In each return, you will report the eligible amount for a split pension. 

The final return for the deceased cannot be prepared together with a common-law or a spouse return.

I hope this was helpful