Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 29, 2019 7:14:02 PM

I am not married, but it wants supposal name????

0 33 2711
1 Best answer
Oct 29, 2019 7:14:03 PM

If you had a change in marital status in the year, you would still be entitled to claim certain credits even with the breakdown of the relationship. In your case, you have gone from separated to Divorced. Since TurboTax does not know how long you've been separated, it asks for the spousal information, including Income, since you could still benefit from the spousal amount, and CCTB amounts may still be calculated with both incomes in mind.

If you don't know the income info, enter an amount higher than the Spousal Benefit Max. Usually $15,000 will work. The CRA will still process your return properly, and you won't be getting any credits you shouldn't.

I hope that helps.

24 Replies
Oct 29, 2019 7:14:03 PM

If you had a change in marital status in the year, you would still be entitled to claim certain credits even with the breakdown of the relationship. In your case, you have gone from separated to Divorced. Since TurboTax does not know how long you've been separated, it asks for the spousal information, including Income, since you could still benefit from the spousal amount, and CCTB amounts may still be calculated with both incomes in mind.

If you don't know the income info, enter an amount higher than the Spousal Benefit Max. Usually $15,000 will work. The CRA will still process your return properly, and you won't be getting any credits you shouldn't.

I hope that helps.

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:04 PM

So you want me to lie ???

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:06 PM

The income entered to ensure the spousal calculation is not added will not be transmitted to the CRA using NETFILE. The CRA still uses the Tax Return of the other person to determine actual income, so your return would be processed as normal, using the actual income of you ex from their tax return.

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:07 PM

Turbotax Clint: you want me to lie ?!?!? And  fill in a spousal amout (although I clearly have no spouse) just make sure it's a high enough amount that this "glitch" doesn't calculate a  spousal amount for me?
Geez pardon me but that seems fundamentally wrong. I have never been one to lie on taxes or in census, but my own tax program and the supporters that work for it, are encouraging such?
Have to agree with other posts on here, I'm going to paper file AND TELL EVERYONE THAT ASKES ME my opinion on Turbo tax

Returning Member
Oct 29, 2019 7:14:10 PM

let's try this...I want my money refunded for the purchase of turbotax due to an error in the software which encourage us to make false statements to CRA.

I'm calling CRA to confirm this tomorrow.

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:11 PM

Send an email to CanadaReturns@intuit.com to request a refund. Please include:

Your request for refund, including your name, address, and daytime phone number.
    Your order number, which is available on your purchase receipt.
    Your purchase receipt dated within 60 days of your refund request (keep a copy for your records).
    Reason for the return: please be specific as your comments are critical to improving our products and services.

Returning Member
Oct 29, 2019 7:14:12 PM

Where is the "skip and continue" option?

I don't care about the "potential" benefits. I never got any extra benefits while married and now it's too late.

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:14 PM

answer is the same. There is no skip button when asked to enter the spousal information. If you follow the steps I posted above, your return will be correctly filled out.

Returning Member
Oct 29, 2019 7:14:15 PM

so, now I have my basic deduction amount and a spousal deduction amount!

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:17 PM

You need to enter an income for the spousal information  that is higher than the max spousal amount. Enter $15,000 for the income and see if makes the credit disappear.

Returning Member
Oct 29, 2019 7:14:18 PM

Hmmmm...maybe, how about just giving us the option to remove the spouse, so we're not lying on our returns?

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:19 PM

agreed !!!! they can throw you in jail for other info you enter and lie about .. makes no sense at all

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:21 PM

This seems very wrong that turbo tax Clint is walking me through how to get around the problem by claiming my spouse makes to much (when I do not have a spouse), rather then turbo tax just fixing this glitch. I have literally ran through this program a dozen times, trying different fixes that many people have suggested and am getting no where being honest. Then I'm told just enter an amount, make it high enough that you won't get a kickback. Well I'm just trying to honestly say 1. No spouse 2. No spouse amount 3. Change in marital status was seperated to divorced.....so still no spouse

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:22 PM

In the Intro section, go back to the martial status screen and check what you have selected.

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:24 PM

Clearly checked divorced in 2014, it asked me divorce date. Still wants souse name /info????

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:25 PM

I'm not happy with Turbo Tax

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:27 PM

I was seperated than divorced in 2014 ... gave dates ... still asking for spouse ?????

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:28 PM

Same! Divorced in 2014 and still asking for spouse info ...

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:30 PM

Perhaps try single on the status instead of divorced

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:31 PM

Same...and I tried the single status

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:32 PM

so do we get an answer ?????

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:34 PM

I'm in the same boat - officially divorced in April, entered the date, selected "divorced" as marital status and it's requesting spousal info...

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:35 PM

Same here. What are we supposed to enter?

Oct 29, 2019 7:14:37 PM

So an intuit moderator told me to go back and check what selection I had checked off. Thanks as helpful as always (sarcasm). I have not received any more answers from intuit. Everyone's suggestions are just to change my status to single or still separated. So I think I'll do that. This is obviously a glitch that intuit isn't concerned about fixing