Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ekiwanuka

I changed my marital status to separated but why is turbo tax asking for my ex-husband's income? It is bringing it as an error to fix.

I changed my marital status to "Separated" but why is Turbo Tax asking for my ex-husband's 2016 income [Canada Taxes]? This is coming up as an error to fix.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I changed my marital status to separated but why is turbo tax asking for my ex-husband's income? It is bringing it as an error to fix.

That is why...in the year of separation, it is possible you might be able to claim a spousal credit depending on what your ex' income was for the part of the year you were together.  You don't need to include his income for the whole year, just the part of the year you were together.  If you are unaware of this, use your best estimate.  If his income for that part of the year was greater than $11,474 then your spousal credit will be zero...but the software is asking just in case.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

May I ask, did you indicate the separation occurred in 2016?
ekiwanuka

correct, indicated separation in 2016

no

That is why...in the year of separation, it is possible you might be able to claim a spousal credit depending on what your ex' income was for the part of the year you were together.  You don't need to include his income for the whole year, just the part of the year you were together.  If you are unaware of this, use your best estimate.  If his income for that part of the year was greater than $11,474 then your spousal credit will be zero...but the software is asking just in case.

If you have children, and they resided with you for the balance of 2016 after the separation, you should go to this link and complete the RC65 form, you may be eligible for an increase in the Child benefits.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/rc65/README.html

I fixed it, but it still says there is an error.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

I need more information, how many returns were you preparing and what was your status before and after. If you have started with two returns, you cannot finish with one as single, you will have to start a new single return.

laurieP

I am filing for 2022 and wondering if this is the same answer?  It is asking for my ex's net income and I do not know it.  Do I have to still put in an amount?  But when he did his, not with Turbo Tax, it didn't ask him for my income.

Did you answer that your marital status changed in 2022? Did you include your new status as separated or divorced? There may have mistakenly been a credit applied for which asks for the spouse's information. In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance please call 1-888-829-8608.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.