English EN

Pick a language

Canada Français United States of America English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
corymarie

I have an error which says I have self employment income. Is there a box somewhere that I accidently checked or is this an error in the program

How do I clear this error.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Delphision

I have an error which says I have self employment income. Is there a box somewhere that I accidently checked or is this an error in the program

Check the information are of your return.  You may have clicked the "province" in the address twice.  One of them refers to province of business.  If you had a T4A with amounts in box 28 or 48 it may indicate a business.

View solution in original post

25 Replies
Delphision

Check the information are of your return.  You may have clicked the "province" in the address twice.  One of them refers to province of business.  If you had a T4A with amounts in box 28 or 48 it may indicate a business.

View solution in original post

dmch

Found amount in 028, but you haven't explained how to fix this problem? Is this an error on the Slip?
dmch

There are two 028 Boxes. Verify that you have put the info in the "Other Income" box on the right.
hlaue

One does not "click" a province in the address area under the Intro tab.  One selects a province from a drop-down menu, and there is no way to select a province twice.  One can change one's selection to another province and return to the original selection, but that is still selecting only one province.  I don't understand the comment about clicking a province "twice".  

My problem is this.  I entered an amount for professional union dues under Deductions, and TurboTax entered this amount as a self-employment income even though I indicated that I had no self-employment income.  How can I fix this TurboTax error?
Delphision

It is in the installed version.  Province of residence as well as province of self-employment.  It can sometimes end up with both filled in.  That could be why you "don't understand clicking a province twice"  I could have said "clicking the spaces to choose provinces twice.
hlaue

Aha.  I am using the online version in which one cannot click the province twice.  Back to the original question.  How can I, using the online version, get rid of a dollar amount for self-employment income?  Nowhere in the program was I given an opportunity to either enter or delete an amount for self-employment income.  The program inserted a non-zero amount in this slot by itself once I had entered a non-zero amount for Union and Professional Fees under Deductions.  The result is that my total income and taxable income are greater than they should be and that my tax payable is greater than it should be.  So, how can I change the amount that is entered for self-employment income? - Note that I said "No" in the introductory section when asked if I had any self-employment income.
Delphision

I can't help you.  I entered union and professional dues in the deductions section, the software subtracted it as expected, and it is clearly reported that way on the bottom line summary>detailed tax summary under the review tab.  I don't understand why your software would be different. Is the difference between what your income is and what it should be exactly the amount of the union dues?
hlaue

This answer does not respond to my question.  The question was: How can I get rid of an amount entered under self-employment income, especially if I did not enter that amount myself?  (TurboTax entered this amount all by itself.)
harry-ellis

A T3 which has a box #24 will generate the same error. When you don't enter this amount in #24,  you can net file. Either it shouldn't be on the T3 to begin with, or Turbo Tax sends it to the wrong place on the tax form. I'm trying to tack down which is wrong. Harry
v