Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I havent entered my spouse's info and is telling me i can file ??? im confused i used to have to enter her info before i could file

i have file with you guys before and not only i couldnt get last years info but now is letting me file without entering my spouse's info 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I havent entered my spouse's info and is telling me i can file ??? im confused i used to have to enter her info before i could file

What did you select at the start of your return on the "Who are you preparing this return for?" screen? (see attached photo). It sounds like you only selected "yourself". If you want to file your return jointly, you need to select "My spouse/partner and me". Then it'll walk you through entering information for both you and your spouse.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

What did you select at the start of your return on the "Who are you preparing this return for?" screen? (see attached photo). It sounds like you only selected "yourself". If you want to file your return jointly, you need to select "My spouse/partner and me". Then it'll walk you through entering information for both you and your spouse.

How do I go back to begging? It just lets me go back to intro

Once you select how you want to prepare your return, you cannot change it. If you just selected to create the return for yourself, you cannot go back and change it (you'll be able to click the Back button but you won't be able to change how you chose to prepare your return on that screen). If you now want to file jointly, go to Tools > Return Manager > Create new return. Then when you're asked how you want to prepare your return, select "My spouse/partner and me".