Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaeturner

I lived in Scotland all of 2020 on a work visa. How do I do my taxes?

1 Reply

I lived in Scotland all of 2020 on a work visa. How do I do my taxes?

We appreciate you choosing TurboTax,

Residents of Canada pay income tax on their worldwide income. Non-residents, however, only pay the tax owed on their Canadian income.

If you live or work abroad or travel a lot, you may still owe Canadian and provincial or territorial income taxes.

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) should know if you intend to spend an extended period of time outside Canada before you ask them to determine your residency status. 

Residency depends on whether you are leaving Canada permanently or temporarily, as well as any ties you maintain with Canada and establish in another country.

You are considered a non-resident if you are a Canadian citizen who has moved abroad:

• During the tax year, you lived outside Canada for more than 183 days
  • with no significant ties to Canada

During a tax year, if you reside in Canada for 183 days or more but have significant residential ties with another country that has a tax treaty with Canada, you are deemed a non-resident. Therefore, you have the same tax obligations as other non-residents.

However, we need more information from you to correctly guide you.

You can also visit the link provided for further clarifications:

CRA: Taxation for Canadians travelling, living or working outside Canada

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter if you require further assistance.