Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wdracher

When completing 2018 income taxes for my mother who died in 2019, what do I do about the signature line? And do I fill out the date of death or leave it for next year?

I am looking to complete the 2018 income taxes for my mother who died in Feb 2019.  She did not have a will but as her adult child I am completing this.  I am just wondering if I am to enter the date she died on page one or save it for next year?  Also, what do I do about the signature line.  Do I sign it or should I leave it blank?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When completing 2018 income taxes for my mother who died in 2019, what do I do about the signature line? And do I fill out the date of death or leave it for next year?

I’m sorry to hear of your loss.

The return must be signed by the legal representative for the deceased, in the area provided on the last page of the return. The legal representative must sign their name and indicate their title (for example, executor or administrator).

As your mother died in 2019, you don’t need to include the date of death until you do her 2019 tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

I’m sorry to hear of your loss.

The return must be signed by the legal representative for the deceased, in the area provided on the last page of the return. The legal representative must sign their name and indicate their title (for example, executor or administrator).

As your mother died in 2019, you don’t need to include the date of death until you do her 2019 tax return.