Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
forumrox

I Re-Filed my 2017 return because I forgot to add in LPP losses (so they are on record and carry forward). The revised tax return shows a gain of $1 for LPP. Why?

I was starting to work on my 2018 return and noticed that I had no LPP losses on record to carry forward from previous years. 

So I re-filed my 2017 return and entered in my losses under capital gains/deductions with the "Listed Personal Property" option, so that they would be on record and carry forward for 7 years (and show in future years in TurboTax to use). 

I took a look at MyCRA after the re-filing went through and noticed the updated return shows a $1 dollar profit for Listed Personal Property (original return had $0). To clarify - I had no profits for LPP - just losses - but the system made it a $1 profit.

My question: Does TurboTax add $1 by default if you enter any kind of record (profit or loss) for LPP - since the system only accepts gains? In order for losses to be recorded, a "gain" has to be into the system for it to work?

5 Replies
forumrox

I Re-Filed my 2017 return because I forgot to add in LPP losses (so they are on record and carry forward). The revised tax return shows a gain of $1 for LPP. Why?

The TurboTax output generated also messes up the 2nd line as shown here: https://prnt.sc/m2en7b Can that be fixed? The $1,112.29 should be on the 2nd line, not on the 3rd. What caused this?

1. You may have noticed the $1 increase on your CRA - Notice of Reassessment. This is commonly seen and added by CRA when a return is adjusted or "ReFiled" and makes no difference to the bottom line. 
  2. The screenshot you attached showing the loss on the next line of your Schedule 3 (section 8 LPP) - should also not affect your return, it is simply the way the PDF copy of your 2017 ReFile printed out. Thank you for pointing this little glitch out.
forumrox

Hi There,

Thanks for the explanation. Just as a followup - I logged in again now, connected to MYCRA to import documents, then re-checked the LPP losses/deductions section. It's still showing I have 0 losses to carry forward. The Re-assessment that was filed shows Line "159 Net gain only - Listed personal property = $1"

Why does it show a 1$ gain when I entered in losses? That was the entire point of re-filing and my original post above.

forumrox

Another way of asking is..... the LOSSES that I entered into my REFILE.... show as a $1 dollar GAIN under LPP... on line 159. How do I get the system to accept the LOSS, so that it carries forward properly?
forumrox

I think I figured it out... can you let me know if this is right:

1) Enter your LPP gains arising from the disposition of listed personal property in the capital gains section of Income-->Investments.

2) Enter the amount of LPP losses (Deductions--> Losses Profile --> Listed Personal Property Loss Carry Forward) from other years. TurboTax will calculate how much LPP losses can be used.

My question is regarding this screen: https://prnt.sc/mst41i

If you enter a number in those boxes/years for a loss - it will allow you to subtract that from any gains. However, what I did when I re-filed, was to just enter the loss by itself - thereby now it shows as a $1 gain for a previous year.

SO in order for this to work correctly - you would require a GAIN that is larger than a LOSS - and the resulting "leftover" amount, would be recorded in the CRA system as carryover, correct?