Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timbit1

I tried to refile correction to not claim eligible dependant, tt refund went from 2600 to 220 as expected, but CRA didn't reduce my refund or ask me to pay it back?

I take turns each year with ex-wife to claim amount for eligible dependant. This year I mistakenly claimed it when it was her turn and she did, too. I did a refile and tt showed the reduced refund, but reassessment from CRA is not reducing it or asking me to pay back the ~2400...I guess somehow tt understands the reduced refund, but CRA refile does not...how do I get this corrected so I pay back?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I tried to refile correction to not claim eligible dependant, tt refund went from 2600 to 220 as expected, but CRA didn't reduce my refund or ask me to pay it back?

In a case such as this, you should contact CRA directly and request they adjust it at their end. They may require you to complete a T1-Adjustment form or possibly can do it for you over the phone.

CRA telephone agents are available Monday to Friday (except holidays) from 9 am to 5 pm (local time). 1-800-959-8281

View solution in original post

2 Replies

In a case such as this, you should contact CRA directly and request they adjust it at their end. They may require you to complete a T1-Adjustment form or possibly can do it for you over the phone.

CRA telephone agents are available Monday to Friday (except holidays) from 9 am to 5 pm (local time). 1-800-959-8281

timbit1

I called the CRA and the verdict was that they recommended trying 'change my return' instead of 'refile' via turbotax. For some reason, refile through turbotax did not change both line 305 and (if I remember the number right, 5816), only the latter, the income for dependent from $1 to $0. This was apparently enough for turbotax to realize my refund should have been 220 instead of ~2600, but not enough for CRA to recognize the difference in refund. CRA said they think if I do it through 'change my return' in CRA myaccount directly, it should work, but I have to wait until May 24th as I had a 2nd attempted refile through tt today that has to "complete" before I can try again.