Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 25, 2023 6:28:44 PM

If I recently filed a name change for my SIN, how will I know when I can file my taxes?

I tried doing my taxes but it didn't work because my legal name had not been changed on my SIN card, and it was still my old name. Now, after filing a name change form for my SIN and receiving a confirmational letter, I still can't file due to error 31, that my information doesn't match the information the CRA already has.

0 1 260
1 Replies
Level 3
Mar 26, 2023 7:20:04 PM

If you have changed your name, you need to let the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) know as soon as possible to ensure that your tax files reflect your new name accurately. The process for advising the CRA of a name change is different depending on whether the change was only to your first name or your last name – or if you have changed both your first name and your last name.

If you are only changing your first name or last name, you need to call 1-800-959-8281 to advise the CRA of your name change.

• You will need to identify yourself on the phone, so be sure to have your Social Insurance number, full address and latest tax return handy. (You will likely be asked to provide figures from certain line numbers of your tax return for verification purposes, quite often you will be asked for Line 15000 – Total Income).

After you successfully change your name and the information matches with the information on the CRA My account, you should be able to do your income tax return. 

For more information, you can visit the TurboTax article - Advising the Canada Revenue Agency of a Name Change

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.