Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwp1

For a coupled return, how do you stop Turbo Tax from claiming the spouse or common law partner amount for one partner?

I'm preparing a coupled return for my son & his wife (married Sept 2018). He wants to transfer his 2018 tuition amount to me since I paid for his schooling. Turbo Tax automatically claims the spouse or common law partner amount for his wife and the tuition amount can't be transferred to me. Is there a way to change this?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For a coupled return, how do you stop Turbo Tax from claiming the spouse or common law partner amount for one partner?

If you are preparing the returns together, there is no way to opt out of the spousal amount. If you prepare the returns separately, then there is an option on the page where it asks for the spouse’s income and information.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you are preparing the returns together, there is no way to opt out of the spousal amount. If you prepare the returns separately, then there is an option on the page where it asks for the spouse’s income and information.

jwp1

Thank you very much for your help. This was exactly what I needed to know.