Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NPJ

Married to a US Spouse

Got married in Dec 2014.  My wife lives and works in the US.  She is not a permanent resident, yet.   Now I'm filing taxes and it's asking me about spouse income and SIN number etc.  What do I enter and how do I let RCA know that my spouse is a non resident and even though we are married we are not living together and she doesn't work or live here ?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Married to a US Spouse

Put your status as married, her SIN as 000-000-000.  There is a question about residence.  You will still need to put in her income.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Married to a US Spouse

Put your status as married, her SIN as 000-000-000.  There is a question about residence.  You will still need to put in her income.

kristi-sk

Married to a US Spouse

And where that income should be put: Net income from 2014 federal tax return or Net income from 2014 provencial tax return?

Married to a US Spouse

It should be put in the identification section of the return with her name, address, SIN and net income
kristi-sk

Married to a US Spouse

Thanks for the reply, am referring to the non-resident spouse, where SIN is 000-000-000. Spouse doesnt have federal nor provincial income, spouse leaves and works outside Canada. Is it possible to override the line 303 to put 0$ there?

Married to a US Spouse

No.  Each person files their own return.  The spouse's income must go in a particular place.  You can't just put it where you think it should go.  You do not file two people on the same return and line 303 is the amount that you could claim if your spouse made no income and you were the supporting person.  Not the right place at all.
kristi-sk

Married to a US Spouse

line 303 is not to claim the spouse credit, hence, to put 0$ there...

Married to a US Spouse

Try that and see if you get a warning.