Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guile2345
Returning Member

My daughter turned 18 years old last year. I always filed her as dependent on my turbo tax self employed every year.

However, last year she I had to file her income tax again under her own name in order to claim a benefit. Now, she is attending school and still lives at home and need my help financially. Do I put her as dependent or does she need to file her own income tax?
1. If I file her as dependent is there a section to add her income?
2. If I file her as dependent is there a section where she can claim tuition expenses?
1 Reply

My daughter turned 18 years old last year. I always filed her as dependent on my turbo tax self employed every year.

The age limit for claiming a child as a dependant on your income taxes is 18 unless they are disabled as explained in this link from TurboTax, Who are Considered Dependants? 

As your daughter is 19 years old, CRA does not view her as a dependant and she would have to file her own tax return, but you can include her in your return. To be able to claim transfers such as Tuition amount, we suggest filling your daughter's tax return first. So you would be able to know exact figures to file it on your return. 

For more information. please follow these links: 

Thank you for using TurboTax.