Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My fiancee (who I am living with), has a 4 year old boy. I help pay for all expenses to support the child. Can I claim these expenses even though he is not my blood?

1 Reply

My fiancee (who I am living with), has a 4 year old boy. I help pay for all expenses to support the child. Can I claim these expenses even though he is not my blood?

If you are the only person supporting the eligible child, you can claim child care expenses you incurred while the eligible child was living with you. Fill out parts A and B, and, if it applies, Part D of Form T778, Child Care Expenses Deduction for 2021.

There may have been another person who lived with you at any time in 2021 and at any time during the first 60 days of 2022 who was one of the following:

• the eligible child's parent
  • your spouse or common-law partner, if you are the father or the mother of the eligible child
  • an individual claiming an amount for the eligible child on line 30400, 30425, 30450, or 30500 of their return

In this situation, the person with the lower net income (including zero income) must fill out parts A and B and claim the child care expenses unless one of the situations in Part C or D applies.

For full information view link below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.