Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atha6317

My status is married but i was filed in single what can i do?

Last year i filed my return together with my husband, but I just filed my return not with my husband,what can I do?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you accidentally listed your marital status as single, there's a good chance CRA will catch it during processing. When your Notice of Assessment arrives, look for details of the change. If CRA doesn't catch the error on their end, you can file an adjustment to make the correction.

*If you correctly listed your status as married but just filed a separate return (not prepared the same time as your husband's), that's completely fine. Many taxpayers choose to prepare their returns separately. 

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647992

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you accidentally listed your marital status as single, there's a good chance CRA will catch it during processing. When your Notice of Assessment arrives, look for details of the change. If CRA doesn't catch the error on their end, you can file an adjustment to make the correction.

*If you correctly listed your status as married but just filed a separate return (not prepared the same time as your husband's), that's completely fine. Many taxpayers choose to prepare their returns separately. 

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647992

I just filed and for some reason I hit single but have been divorced and filed as such for years. I tried to change it via intuit and the CRA and can’t... asp can’t email them or get ahold of them on the phone. How can I file the correction as indicated? I’m just worried about being audited if they don’t catch it and adjust it? 

This is common misinformation included in returns, in your case an honest mistake. Many taxpayers believe that single and divorced are the same and therefore indicate they are single. This can be corrected in time, by contacting the Canada Revenue Agency themselves. Whether it is done now or after you receive your Notice of Assessment is of little consequence. This is a very busy week at CRA. You might want to call next week.

Thank you for using TurboTax.