Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Tax Refund was deposited +3x the amount Turbo Tax said it would be. Where did this increase come from? Why is it not updated on my past refund submissions to reflect?

3 Replies

My Tax Refund was deposited +3x the amount Turbo Tax said it would be. Where did this increase come from? Why is it not updated on my past refund submissions to reflect?

Without seeing your actual tax return, it's difficult to determine "why" your refund would be much higher than what you filed with TurboTax.

You should compare your Notice Of Assessment (NOA) with your TurboTax file which you saved and you should be able to see why this has happened. Also, read the print section of your NOA as it might explain it. 

When this happens, the most common reason is that you have had Tuition and Education Amounts previously reported to CRA and they applied them automatically. 

Me16

Not a clue why this happened to you but when I did my taxes I was told it would be around 500 but the CRA confirmed it to be closer to 250.

Any explanation?

Once you receive your Notice of Assessment you will be able to see where the difference is coming from. It will show you what you claimed and was the amounts were and should be. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.