Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
melvillem

We have joint custody of our child. I pay child support to my ex even though it is not court mandated. Can I claim the payment on my return?

My ex claims the child tax credit and the child as a dependent.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We have joint custody of our child. I pay child support to my ex even though it is not court mandated. Can I claim the payment on my return?

No you can't. Child support (anything that is not explicitly spousal support) cannot be claimed, regardless of a court order or not.

Payments for a  court order explicitly for spousal support can be claimed, and the spouse would have to claim the income.

But in your case, no you cannot make any claims.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No you can't. Child support (anything that is not explicitly spousal support) cannot be claimed, regardless of a court order or not.

Payments for a  court order explicitly for spousal support can be claimed, and the spouse would have to claim the income.

But in your case, no you cannot make any claims.

Unfortunately, regardless of whether the child support is from a court order or a written agreement, it is not a deduction.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/spprtpymnts/clm-eng.html#ftrprl