Solved: On the year over year comparison, in non-refundabl...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

On the year over year comparison, in non-refundable tax credits, what is the line - spouse/eligible dependant for?

The biggest and most obvious amount from year over year comparison is the line - spouse/eligible dependant. Which in my case 2014 is $8,157 but 2013 is zero, I don't remember entering any of that amount, try to trace and redo the deductions section, it still came up that number. What happens? Does anyone know?

Also the difference in my life is my wife didnt receive EI anymore on 2014, she also only get about $2,500 in year 2014. She was getting EI around $22,000 in 2013.

Anyone knows will be greatly appreciated. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

On the year over year comparison, in non-refundable tax credits, what is the line - spouse/eligible dependant for?

In your case, it is the spousal amount as you are now supporting your wife.  For the eligible dependant, it means that a single person is caring for a child and the deduction is equivalent to a spousal deduction.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted

In your case, it is the spousal amount as you are now supporting your wife.  For the eligible dependant, it means that a single person is caring for a child and the deduction is equivalent to a spousal deduction.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Yes, apparently we can found out just before year over year comparison, it's 11,138 minus the wife's net income, that's where I got the 8,157

Thanks again though for the answer.

v