turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

5071C - Verify Identity not working!

Hi, On March 23, I received IRS letter 5071C asking me to verify my identity before receiving my refund.  I went to the website and entered in all of my information accurately and received an error message that the information provided is not accurate.  I verified it FOUR times - and it still would not take our information.  The phone # is down - they are not taking calls!  I tried again on the website - www.idverify.irs.gov and now I am getting an error message that states my email address is invalid! WTF  I entered 3 different ones and it wouldn't take any of them!

We have a large refund coming and need this money and I have no way to verify our identity to get this refund processed!

Any ideas how I can get in touch w/ the IRS to complete this process???

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

You will have to contact the IRS.

How do you verify my identity by phone?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/security/help/how-do-you-verify-my-identity-by-phone/00/27081

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The IRS is not taking phone calls - there is no "live" service at this time.   I have no way to verify my identity to get my refund.  Do you know of a way to email someone at the IRS about this?

• Telephone Assistance: IRS live phone assistance is not available at this time. Please look for help first here on IRS.gov.
  • Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) closed: The IRS has stopped all face-to-face service nationwide until further notice.
AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

There's no email for the IRS available. The best thing for you to do is to check back with the IRS for updates to their services.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kiipit100

Hello.  I was wondering if you figured anything out?

Hi my name is Ronald A'. Gilbert I received a 5071C stating that you all needed me to go too the www.idverify.irs.gov site to verify my account with you all. I filed a return through the IRS Turbo site. I Ronald A'. Gilbert has a return in the amount of 1200.00 plus my renter's rebate, that is for one reason or other is being held hostage by the IRS. I've visited the www.idverify.irs.gov site and was unable to log in, I tried five time's but it would not except my email. SSI [removed]. Phone: [phone number removed] please contact at earlies convenienst.

@Ronnieg-man You are not being asked to verify your identity with TurboTax.   You are being asked to verify your identity with the IRS.   Unfortunately, TurboTax cannot help you with identity verification.   The  IRS may have caught something on your return that caused them to require ID verification, or it might be random.   But you have to verify your own identity with the IRS.   TurboTax is only the software company you used to prepare your tax return.   TurboTax cannot verify your identity with the IRS nor can they intercede with the IRS in any way for you.

I HAVE TO VERIFY MY IDENTITY

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/security/tips-for-handling-identity-verification-requests-from-...

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/identity-verification-for-irs-letter-recipients

And....your rent rebate credit has nothing to do with your federal tax return at all.   The rent credit is a state matter---only your state is in control of that.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies