Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
khosla-m

Are you claiming spousal amount? My spouse is unemployed in Canada, but holds employment in India. Can I claim spousal amount if I have sent her money over this tax yea

1 Reply

Are you claiming spousal amount? My spouse is unemployed in Canada, but holds employment in India. Can I claim spousal amount if I have sent her money over this tax yea

Thank you for your question,

As per Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), you can claim the spousal tax credit if, at any time in the year, you supported your spouse and her net world income was less than your basic personal amount. The maximum amount in which you can claim changes every year and is reduced by your partner’s income.

net income of your spouse is the amount on line 23600 of your spouse's return or the amount it would be if they filed a return. You can visit the website of Spouse or common-law partner amount to get more information.

Moreover, if your spouse is non-resident and lives in India, you may be able to claim an amount for her if she depended on you for support. If she already has enough income or assistance for a reasonable standard of living in India, the CRA does not consider them to depend on you for support.