turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

I mailed my amended return for 2018 in May of 2020.  I tracked it on "where's my amended return" and it was not until around November that they actually showed receiving it.  Says it was received May 27.  So it was 6 months before I could even obtain the info that it was received.  Although I did send it via certified mail- twice- once in May and once in September.  I've tried calling the # and like others- can't get through.  It says "take action" which would lead one to believe something is wrong- but from what others post- that seems like a standard message.  I am owed money.  I owe them money this year and it would be great if they would just deduct what I owe from what they owe me- but I'm sure it doesn't work that way.  Wonder what would happen if it took ME 10 plus months to pay them... ha ha ha.... 

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

If you dont mind me asking what number did they tell you to call? Im going on 5 months now no change. 

5 months?  those are rookie numbers.  gotta bring those numbers up.  sitting at almost 13 months now from the time they confirmed they've received it.

I mailed mine May 2020 and it was a $99 refund. It never said anything about even being received until a few weeks ago. Once when I checked it said my return was received May 22, 2020 and gave me a number to call with an extension.  I called and after waiting only about 10 minutes I did get to talk to a person who verified my return was processed and would be coming. About 3 weeks later I got it and it included interest.  

[phone number removed] Xt 623. Good luck. I can never get through 

@yer_sister 

to answer your questions:

they owe me money.

I physically mailed it certified mail with delivery receipt.  (Still have the US postal Service Certified Mail receipt).

their website confirms that they've received it..... 13 months ago.  every couple months when i call they have no new info for me other then.  "covid"  "dont file another"  "they're processed in the order they're received"    (except there's people here who say they've sent theirs months after me and they've already gotten their amended return refund)

At this point I'm kind of excited to see how long it can go.  Like will this go multiple years?  Hopefully they pay nice interest.

@aronnov wrote:

their website confirms that they've received it..... 13 months ago.  every couple months when i call they have no new info for me other then.  "covid"  "dont file another"  "they're processed in the order they're received"    (except there's people here who say they've sent theirs months after me and they've already gotten their amended return refund)

At this point I'm kind of excited to see how long it can go.  Like will this go multiple years?  Hopefully they pay nice interest.

According to the IRS website:

"Under the Internal Revenue Code, the rate of interest is determined on a quarterly basis. For taxpayers other than corporations, the overpayment and underpayment rate is the federal short-term rate plus 3 percentage points."

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/interest-rates-remain-the-same-for-the-first-quarter-of-2021

Have you tried to enlist the help of the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service?  If not, and if you want to, here's how:

They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.  

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

Ok so it’s been about 5 months the irs website finally updated to say it was received December 11th. I’ve checked the return status everyday. It’s been over 16 weeks. Then the irs sends me a message to call them. The only thing they say is nothing. They tell me there’s no new information and that amendments will process longer than usual because of COVID. Why waste my time and asked me to call you when there’s no information here. I’m expecting it to be fully processed by Christmas. So I’d give it about a year from when I sent it in to be fully processed. I mailed this end of November, tracking said they received it December 2nd.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Once your return is submitted,  the IRS handles the processing. TurboTax no longer has updates from that moment forward. 

Here's an IRS FAQ link for amended returns.  

https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-return-frequently-asked-questions 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks

wisconsin_wolf
Returning Member

Same here.. Called them end of Jan and they said processing is delayed due to Covid and I should see an update within 30 days. We are in mid April now and the status on the website says the return was received in August and I need to call them. When I call, it says due to the heavy call volume, I should try my call again.. I guess this most likely will take all year 

My 2018 amended return was sent certified and shows delivered October 22,2020. It is still not showing up. My goodness, this is ridiculous.  I need that processed so I can close on our home before the owner sells to someone else.  Calling them is just a waste of time.  

honestly70
Returning Member

I sent my 2018 amended return about mid September 2020 and it just showed up in the system 2-3 weeks ago (mid March 2021). It still has not been processed. 

I have stuff that rolls over to my next years tax returns so I need this to be processed to file my 2019 and 2020 returns.  🤦🏻‍♀️

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Honestly, you can file your 2019 and 2020 now.  You do not need to wait until 2018  is processed.  You should have all of the information needed if you have carryforward items.  Most cases, one return does not require the others to be processed.

Amended returns are the last to be processed and of course 2020 was a very unique year because of the pandemic and the Stimulus payments that ONLY IRS processes.

There are amended returns that have been filed since July 2020 that have not been processed yet.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
honestly70
Returning Member

These are some pretty substantial deductions and credits that are being rolled over from 2018 that my previous tax person did incorrectly. Without them, I’m going to pay a pretty hefty amount of tax. I was afraid if I claimed them without them being in the system from the previous tax docs, so tbere was a record of them somewhere, especially the credits, that it would cause problems w my return,  red flags.  Like, this person is making up credits and deductions so she doesn’t have to pay tax. 

my current tax person recommended I wait for them to go through, or file without them, pay the tax, then amend my 2019 and 2020 and wait for a refund.  I don’t want to do that, so I wait. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies