Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I refile the tax after i got the teax review letter from cra?also do i need to register a BN since I am a contractor of a music school.tahnks

3 Replies

Can I refile the tax after i got the teax review letter from cra?also do i need to register a BN since I am a contractor of a music school.tahnks

You may not be able to simply "ReFile" your return if CRA was reviewing it. It depends if your review is complete or not, and what exactly was being reviewed. The CRA conducts a number of different types of reviews annually in which the taxpayer must submit some type of documentation to back up or substantiate a credit or deduction they have claimed. 

When you receive a letter requesting more information or receipts, you usually must respond to that letter within 30 days or request an extension that allows you to gather your information. You can submit your documents via mail, fax, or sign in to your CRA My Account and upload any scanned documents.  Quite often CRA does not receive your documentation in time and they will reassess your tax return and disallow the credit.

When this happens, you need to contact them directly. It's best to contact them via the phone number on the review letter you received. If you do not have this number, contact CRA General Enquiries: 1-800-959-8281. It's important that you use the Case/Reference Number from the original letter you received, and if you submitted your documents online you should have a Confirmation Number showing your submission was successful.

You should always receive a letter or Notice of Reassessment in regards to your review showing it is complete.

• Sometimes the information is not received in time and the reassessment takes place before the documents can be reviewed. This can usually be fixed with a call to them.
  • At other times, they may review your information and decide that you do not actually qualify for the claim you were trying to make and "disallow" it. 
  • If your documents were received on time and CRA finds them to be acceptable to substantiate the claim, you should receive a letter saying no further action is needed. 

In your particular case, I would suggest you call CRA and enquire with them what the status of your review is and if they require more information. Simply ReFiling the return will likely result in a "preassessment" if they have not received the information they have previously requested, or disallowed your claim. 

For the second part of your question about registering for a Business Number, that depends on the structure of your business and a few other factors.

• Are you registering your company with the province you reside in? (or incorporating it).
  • Will you have employees? If so you must register for a payroll account.
  • As Music Lessons are "exempt" from collecting GST, you would not have to register for a GST account.

Some businesses that hire contractors or subcontractors require them to have a business number.

The following information from CRA explains further about obtaining a business number: CRA Business Number Information 

Thanks for your reply,however,i have a friend who is an accountant helped out,found out i am not supposed to claim employment expenses because i am self employed,btw she helped me to call cra and edit all calims to $0,months later i have got a letter from cra asking for the tax payment,because of no claims i have to pay more tax,and my friend helped me to file a T1 ADJ E to cra in early June which I still don't see any updates on mycra,wondering should I just refile my tax for 2018 again?Does it work like this way?

Thank you!