Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRA declined my NETFILE tax return, I received a CRA result code: 84. I was told to write down these error message codes 561, 561, 561, NA, NA. How do I correct my return

5 Replies

CRA declined my NETFILE tax return, I received a CRA result code: 84. I was told to write down these error message codes 561, 561, 561, NA, NA. How do I correct my return

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), error code 84 means:

The spouse’s or common-law partner’s name contains at least one invalid character. Please make sure that the first character is not a period and that it does not contain a number, a slash (/ or \), or an ampersand (&).

To verify this information in your Online return, please follow the steps below:

• Go to the menu on the left side and choose My Info.
  • Select (spouse's) personal information.
  • Here you can edit/correct the name as required.
  • Make sure to scroll down and click on Continue to save your change.

Please see our TurboTax FAQ for guidance: Error message: Invalid characters when trying to use NETFILE.

The CRA error code 561 has a different explanation depending on the taxation year:

An amount for eligible tuition fees was entered on line 320 of the federal Schedule 11. One of the following situations applies to your client’s return:

1. If the province of residence is Ontario or Saskatchewan, the amount on line 5914 on the provincial Schedule 11 cannot be greater than the entry on line 320.
  2. For all other provinces or territories of residence (except New Brunswick), the same amount must be entered on line 320 and on line 5914 on the provincial or territorial Schedule 11.

Your client’s province or territory of residence is not New Brunswick, Ontario, or Saskatchewan. The entry on line 320 on the federal Schedule 11 must equal the entry on line 5914 on the provincial or territorial Schedule 11.

Except for residents of Ontario and Saskatchewan, the sum of line 32000 and line 32001 on the federal Schedule 11 must equal to line 59140 on the provincial or territorial Schedule 11.

2020, 2021

One of the following situations applies to your client’s return:

1. Your client’s province or territory of residence is other than Quebec, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta, or Yukon – Line 59140 for provincial or territorial tuition fees must equal lines (32000 minus 45350 plus 32001). When line 32000 minus line 45350 is negative, then line 59140 must equal line 32001.
  2. Your client’s territory of residence is Yukon – Line 59140 on the Schedule YT(S11) must equal to line 32000 plus line 32001.

To verify this information please follow the steps below in your Online return:

• Go to the Find (magnifying glass) at the top right corner in your return.
  • Write Tuition Fees in the search window, select it, and click Go.
  • Verify all the information as required.

Note: To view the lines mentioned above in your Online return:

• Go to the Detailed Tax Summary in the left menu as seen in the images below.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Highnorth

tried to submit tax return using Netfile, but came back saying incorrect info or missing info.  No error number and mention where error is on return.

@Highnorth Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

jethro-88

CRA would not accept my Netfiled tax return, with result code 84, error messages 375, 375, 375, 375, 375, N/A, N/A. Turbotax assures me that the return is 100% accurate and free from errors & missing information. How do I proceed?  

@jethro-88 Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.