turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I find out if my injured spouse claim was applied to my case. I mailed it in after my taxes were filed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I find out if my injured spouse claim was applied to my case. I mailed it in after my taxes were filed

If you filed the Form 8379 by itself after a joint return has been processed by the IRS, then processing will take about 8 weeks.

If you file Form 8379 with your original return, it may take 11 weeks to process an electronically-filed return or 14 weeks if you filed a paper return. More details are here https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203.html

If it's been longer than the number of weeks mentioned above, you can call the IRS to check the status of it. You can also call the IRS tax refund hotline at 800-829-4477, Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.

View solution in original post

206 Replies

If you filed the Form 8379 by itself after a joint return has been processed by the IRS, then processing will take about 8 weeks.

If you file Form 8379 with your original return, it may take 11 weeks to process an electronically-filed return or 14 weeks if you filed a paper return. More details are here https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203.html

If it's been longer than the number of weeks mentioned above, you can call the IRS to check the status of it. You can also call the IRS tax refund hotline at 800-829-4477, Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.

Neither of the options you listed where helpful to get adequate information about an injured spouse status. After literally trying every option from the voice menu, the call ended abruptly with a pre-recorded message.

In addition, the website for tax topics was a dead end as well. It does not give answers or adequate directions on how to find the status.

If you have any additional information, I would be most appreciative.

Markise78

I too would like information on this.  It has been 12 weeks since I submitted the information needed and did so after I had already filed my taxes.  The information posted above leads to no where but dead ends.  The IRS hotline has no option to check on the status and the link posted above just gives the info on how long it can take and the IRS hotline number.  Both dead ends. Searching google I ended up here.

Jerrybad

It been a long time and haven't got my taxes yet 

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Calling is ridiculous!  On hold every day for over 2 hours to then be cut off or told they are closed. I am not happy. The next step is my attorney gets involved. By all means, keeping money from an individual that is owed is a criminal offense 

It is not funny that every new page has a different stated time. The only explanation is fraud. My attorney is being notified 

Was wondering what ever happened w/your injured staff claim, im in your boat now

thanks

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@it never ends

You may want to reach out to an IRS Taxpayer advocate. Please see this for more information: https://www.irs.gov/advocate/local-taxpayer-advocate

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just wondering if any of you ever received your refunds after submitting the injured spouse form? I called the IRS and they don't answer. I have a feeling the form I submitted got dumped in a black hole and I'll never get my money. Would really like to hear from previous posters on any updates. Thanks

You can call [phone number removed] enter 652 when asked for an extension. Then say wmr told you to call or you got the number from a previous years letter. Then you can ask what the status is if they don't say anything. They will refuse (cause that's their training) to give you more info due to the processing time, 8 weeks if mailed in after filing your return, 11 weeks if efiled with your return, 14 weeks if you mailed in your return and the form, or 16 weeks if the form is attached to an amended return. If it has been longer than whichever way you did it, then you need to call them and tell them. They will either transfer you to whoever it got assigned to or they may just hang up. If the rep doesn't transfer you, I would advise calling the Taxpayer Advocate Service at [phone number removed] and letting them know what is going on.

ShockeyR

I received my return last year (for 2018 tax year) after filing an injured spouse claim. I am still waiting this year for 2019s tax year but it's only been 3 weeks since we filed. We got 2018s in late September due to errors I made, but we did get it back with some interest. 

I am in the same boat and was wondering how long it took you to actually find out info about your form and did you receive your refund? I filed my taxes in February 2020 and sent the injured spouse right afterwards and I called today and the IRS told me to call back in 45 days because it doesn’t say they have received the paper yet, even tho I know they did because I did certified mail. But Im panicking because I need my taxes! They took ALL of them for my husbands back child support. He didn’t work at all but I filed married filing jointly so I’m hoping they will give all my refund back! Ahhhh I’m so stressed! Now with no work due this coronavirus I’m really stressed! 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

According to the IRS:

Generally, if you file Form 8379 (Injured Spouse) with a joint return on paper, the time needed to process it is about 14 weeks (11 weeks if filed electronically). If you file Form 8379 by itself after a joint return has been processed, the time needed is about 8 weeks (after the tax return has been processed).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies