Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change my SIN number on turbotax?

6 Replies

Hello paulcalgary22,

• ONLINE - If you are using the online version of the software, you simply go back to the side bar on the left (black section) - click on "My Info" then go down to "Your name Personal Info", you will be able to change your SIN number there.
  • DOWNLOAD - Easy Step - If you are using the downloaded version - starting in "Easy Step" mode - once you get past the introduction section you will get to "Personal Info" page and you will be able to change your SIN# there. 
  • DOWNLOAD FormsView -If you choose to use the "Forms" View - you must first enter your  personal information to be able to access "Forms" then you will be able to go to the top of the page in "Forms"view and click on "View" then go to the dropdown and click on "Personal Information" to change your SIN# there.

Please note that once you have Netfiled your return you will not be able to change your SIN, until you receive your Notice of Assessment to file an adjustment. Please review the link provided for more details on how to change a filed return.

grbiggins

I have tried to change SIN (online method) based on information detailed. The field is locked and will not allow me to change. How can this be done? 

Is there any way to change the SIN after certifying the info near the end of completing the return? It's incorrect and I can't find any way to correct it.

Unfortunately, once you have certified that the information is correct, you can no longer make those changes. Please contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to make this change: Individual tax enquiries line.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I have already tried to submit a tax return with the incorrect SIN number and an error came up.  I have tried to change the SIN number and it keeps going back to the incorrect SIN. How can I change it and make it stay?

@catherine25 Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.