Pick a language

Canada Français United States of America English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboTaxLynda
Intuit Alumni

I have an error which says I have self employment income. Is there a box somewhere that I accidently checked or is this an error in the program

Hello Katherine,

Depending on which version of TurboTax you are using, the answer will be different.

In TurboTax CD/Download you should choose Profile, in the left-hand side menu. Click continue till you find the page What happened for you in 2019? At the bottom of this page verify if you accidentally chose did you have self-employment, rental, or other income?

In TurboTax Online, go to My Info in the left-hand side menu, and scroll down to Get Started. Continue till you reach the page what happened for you in 2019? On this page scroll down midway and verify if this line is ticked: I was self-employed (freelancer, contractor, independent worker, professional, commission-based, farming, fishing)

For more information please review this link:

Why is TurboTax telling me I’m self-employed?

Have a good day,

Ginette

katherineluttmer

I have an error which says I have self employment income. Is there a box somewhere that I accidently checked or is this an error in the program

I have never been self-employed and I want to delete the box that says I have a self-employed income of 85.00. How can I do this?  every attempt I have made to rework my T3 boxes has not changed one thing.

TurboTaxSusan

@katherineluttmer Do you have any other slips? Like a T4 slip with box 81, 82 or 83, or a T4A slip with box 20, 48 or box 28?

Also if your T3 slip has an amount on box 24 (foreign business income), then you can’t just leave it out. If the slip is incorrect, contact whoever issued it to get a corrected one.

If your T3 slip is correct, then you have income that the CRA considers to be “self-employment”. You’ll have to fill out a Form T2125: Statement of Business Activities, though you only have to put in the basic required info, like enter your province, your address, your industry code, and your fiscal period. Your fiscal period can just be the one year 01/01/2019 to 31/12/2019, and you can find your industry code here: https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=1181553

mkieser
Returning Member

I am getting this same problem. The "self employed" box is NOT selected in the Personal Tax Profile interview question, my T4 does NOT have anything on line 81, 82, 83, and I have NO T3. I am getting this error: "The entry for province or territory of self-employment is not the same as your province of residence at December 31st.".
The Filing Hub Preview PDF has the correct province of residence, but the "If you were self-employed in 2019, enter the province or territory where your business had a permanent establishment" box HAS a different province, but I am NOT self-employed so it should be empty. Please help.

mkieser
Returning Member

I figured it out, it is an issue with the TurboTax online user interface that you need to force. To solve this, go back to My Info / Get Started section. This will take you to "Let's build your tax profile", after you hit Continue, select the "I was Self Employed box", there was a province selected for me, change the selection to "Select Province", then un-select the "I was Self Employed box". This fixed my problem, so I was able to file my taxes and there was no province in the "If you were self-employed in 2019, enter the province..." box.

TurboTax you have got to fix this problem with your UI, I spent many hours trying to resolve this.

1Randycarswell
Returning Member

14.thousand

OctMom18

OMG .... I am having the same issue with this .... have never been self-employed and certainly do not recall this happening last year.   I have followed your instructions 4 times but it just does not fix it.

TURBO TAX have a fix so I can completed?  Frig

scaravan
Returning Member

I am having the same problem as you. I am not self employed, I do not have a province picked. Turbo Tax automatically clicked I am self employed. I cannot file my taxes, even though I just paid them, and I just paid turbo tax too. I need to file before I am charged interest. PLEASE HELP!!!

TurboTaxBrenda1

Please read the following TurboTax FAQ to help you with your question- 

Why is TurboTax telling me I'm self-employed?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax

v