turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my federal taxes got accepted but my state does not,will I still receive my federal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If my federal taxes got accepted but my state does not,will I still receive my federal?

State doesn't have to be accepted in order for the federal to be approved. Federal may move right along and state still show in pending status since IRS doesn't handle the state return. If your state return gets rejected, that doesn't mean the federal will. They are processed individually by different entities. One doesn't affect processing of the other. IRS handles your federal return and your state handles the state return. You could very well receive your federal refund within 21 days and not have gotten state yet. 

If your state return still shows pending, that is not uncommon, being that the IRS just officially started accepting e-filed returns on January 29, 2018. See below for more details on a state e-file still pending.

And if your federal has been accepted by the IRS already, please allow 24-48 hours after they accept and then start tracking it on their website to see when it moves to approved. To check the status of your federal tax refund, go to Where's My Refund? at IRS.gov.

Why is my state e-file still pending?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302294

View solution in original post

9 Replies

What status does your State return show when you log into your TurboTax account? Or check here <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/ef...> and tell me what the State status says.

It says pending

Does state have to be accepted before the federal gets processed and sent out, since they get processed separately anyway?

States are never accepted until after federal gets accepted. I'm going to post an answer for you below, regarding a pending state return.

I know that. But my question is.. DOES THE STATE HAVE TO BE ACCEPTED IN ORDER FOR THE FEDERAL TO BE APPROVED AND PROCESSED? FOR INSTANCE IF MY STATE GETS REJECTED WILL I STILL RECIEVW FEDERAL. OR WILL THEY REJeCT BOTH?

See response below @missyjbooga

State doesn't have to be accepted in order for the federal to be approved. Federal may move right along and state still show in pending status since IRS doesn't handle the state return. If your state return gets rejected, that doesn't mean the federal will. They are processed individually by different entities. One doesn't affect processing of the other. IRS handles your federal return and your state handles the state return. You could very well receive your federal refund within 21 days and not have gotten state yet. 

If your state return still shows pending, that is not uncommon, being that the IRS just officially started accepting e-filed returns on January 29, 2018. See below for more details on a state e-file still pending.

And if your federal has been accepted by the IRS already, please allow 24-48 hours after they accept and then start tracking it on their website to see when it moves to approved. To check the status of your federal tax refund, go to Where's My Refund? at IRS.gov.

Why is my state e-file still pending?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302294

I had submitted after rejection. Where do I go from here?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

The process is the same for a previously rejected return. Your tax return goes from pending to accepted. Accepted means the IRS received your return and are processing it.  

Once they approve your return, they will issue you a refund. The IRS releases most refunds with some exceptions, within 21 calendar days after the e-filed return is approved, not 21 days from the e-filing date.  

Please see the page below. 

Does "accepted" mean my refund is approved? - Community 

Please refer to the article below. 

What does Accepted mean? - Community 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies