Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a problem if I filed separately my Tax Returns because I have 2 SIN, (one SIN as temporary resident and one SIN as a Permanent Resident? How do I file this?

I have filed my 2019 Tax returns via Turbo Tax, I have 2 SINs when I filed and filed separately, and receive a refund for 2 separate Tax Returns used, and now I received a Notice of Reassessment saying I owe CRA, is this the reason? The reason CRA gave is not very clear to me, so I'm suspecting this one. Please I need your insight about this, before I go to my tax accountant. Thanks all...
1 Reply

Is there a problem if I filed separately my Tax Returns because I have 2 SIN, (one SIN as temporary resident and one SIN as a Permanent Resident? How do I file this?

You should not file tax returns using two different SINs. If the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) issues you a new Social Insurance Number (SIN), then your previous SIN is no longer valid.

We recommend you contact the CRA and explain the situation you have encountered so they can help you resolve the issue. If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere, you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: Contact the Canada Revenue Agency

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thank You,