turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ejiles
Returning Member

My refund is over 2 months late (direct deposit). The where's my refund tool gives no explanation and the IRS doesn't answer the phone. What can be done?

I read your post....please check mine out...

Hello,  I filed Elizabeth Jiles taxes ([removed]) on 04/20/2021 via TurboTax.

As I check on refund status…….the IRS and even though Turbo Tax has a website memory of the filing, your supplied phone computer person has no evidence of it being filed.

Even though we received emails saying both federal and state returns were ACCEPTED, we are rejected as not being filed.

Now, since TurboTax states they have our back, I never found anyway to find what that meant!

I have screen printed all affirmations that it was filed, and accepted, and approximated refund date of May 11, 2021.

Now since the IRS can not find any record, and Turbo Tax has no recollection of it, these printed screen prints of info, must have to be used in a lawsuit to get the real story.

Since you are being emailed today, May 12, 2021, you have very, very little time to correct this situation!

Sincerely,

Len Kramme for Elizabeth Jiles

[phone number removed]   

Butch05121948
Returning Member

My refund is over 2 months late (direct deposit). The where's my refund tool gives no explanation and the IRS doesn't answer the phone. What can be done?

Crickets since March 6th.

ee-ea
Level 15

All you can do now is, wait. At least you know that the IRS has your filing. It does not matter who sent your 1040 to the IRS. The IRS is the sole destination for tax returns. No one has discovered a way to make the IRS speed up sending out refunds. No one ever will because the IRS is an overwhelmed, over worked, under funded and under staffed government bureaucracy. Eventually you will get the pay off of your no interest loan to the government.

Have you thought of paying just enough by estimates or withholding to avoid a penalty and let the government wait for your check?

Anyone who used turbo tax with EITC, unemployment and head of household is waiting because of an error in TT Software, which no one has spoken of yet. The IRS is aware of it and told me it was in TT software. No one at TT will admit to anything of the sort, I for one will never use TT again seeing there were so many issues with stimulus checks because of TT issues and now this. It’s pathetic. 

If you made the mistake of paying Turbo tax 1st then you're going to get the last one on the list to get an answer the correct answer and if you happen to get a live person they're not going to know what in the world you're talking about trust me I'm going through right now and me and my family really really need this refund

This year they may not only pay for my texts up front then they said that I couldn't follow him for over 3 months and now they're hoping you can help me go back and figure out why I anatomy at the soup kitchen me and my child my 3 children are eating at the soup kitchen at Salvation Army every other night because of it

Well if I've seen of an apology this is from now this is no my kids called covid because I pay Joe in advance you won't help me go back and figure out why I wouldn't be able to find my texts for 3 months we're eating at the so suit kitchen both of my three-year-old twins and my 7 year old just call covid from the soup kitchen we're having to eat there every other night because you ought to go for half a point of checks Jack's because we pay job up a front and out and I don't get an apology given apology my kids aren't getting an apology This is a matter of fact you won't even help me go back and figure out why

No you don't have a strain when I pay for my taxes up front then you tell me that I won't be able to file for 3 months and you've taken the money tget the money that is for my kids food and we're eating at the savage army soup kitchen at least every other night now all the room my babies have covered it and I don't think one of them's going to make it but you won't let me you won't yet nope Tech Support will help me find out why find out why what form and what I can go in and do to change but you don't care so it's on your headso it's all narratives when MA baby wouldn't do anything happens to my baby because we're happy to see a kitchen every other night You don't care

I filed my return in March, 2022, I received an email that it was accepted. It has been 3 months and no explanation why the delay.  

@Sunflower62 wrote:

I filed my return in March, 2022, I received an email that it was accepted. It has been 3 months and no explanation why the delay.  

The IRS is severely behind in processing 2021 tax returns.

Go to this IRS website for information on the status of 2021 tax returns - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of June 17, 2022, we had 11.2 million unprocessed individual returns which include returns received before 2022, and new tax year 2021 returns. Of these, 2 million returns require error correction or other special handling, and 9.2 million are paper returns waiting to be reviewed and processed. This work does not typically require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If a correction is made to any Recovery Rebate Credit, Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to October 2021 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors.  We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit and the Child Tax Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s My Refund? or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s My Refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. If you filed before October 2021 and Where’s My Refund? does not have any information, your return has been opened but work on it has not begun. We’re working hard to get through the carryover inventory. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

What do I do I had unemployment in it but all it says is processing still and no update no letter no tax topic nothing . They never answer turbo max pretty much told me all they do is look at paperwork they send I said well I can read I need you to help me please they took it last year I could t claim my gf daughter as earned income I turned that paper in this year like I’m march . When are they goin to release this money we need it so bad rn !!!

@Joshua R 1 - the IRS is woefully backlogged.  All you can do is be patient.

are you waiting on 2020 or 2021 tax return? 

If 2020, are you are waiting on a refund from being unemployed in 2020? is that right? what is on Line 8 of Form 1040 that you originally filed? Let's make sure you are eligible for an adjustment.

Dawn9247

Where's my refund you accepted the it's website said contact you

@Dawn9247 "accepted" simply means the IRS has acknowledged receipt of the tax return.  It does not mean they have reviewed or approved it.  THe IRS is woefully backlogged.  Please read below and have you checked the 'where's my refund" tool?  Lastly, Turbo Tax gets no information for the IRS on the status of your return as that is confidential information between the IRS and you. 

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to January 2022 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors. We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit and the Child Tax Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s My Refund? or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s My Refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. If you filed before January 2022 and Where’s My Refund? does not have any information, your return has been opened but work on it has not begun. We’re working hard to get through the carryover inventory. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

I have not received my 2021 tax refund and I used TurboTax to send it e-file and they agreed to take their fee out of my refund check my question is why have I not received my refund check yet I filed it and I filed it on time and it is now August where's my refund

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies