Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhg1252

My son is my dependent . when I click yes on the question "do you have children's a dependent and I provide his name and birth date it keeps coming back invalid?

I have my son as my dependent . When I click Yes on the question "do you have children as a dependent and I provide his name and birth date it keeps coming back "INVALID
5 Replies

My son is my dependent . when I click yes on the question "do you have children's a dependent and I provide his name and birth date it keeps coming back invalid?

Is it the name box that is giving the error? In that case, try deleting everything in that box, and retype the name without using any special characters (like . or / or &, etc…) or spaces at the start or end of the name.

If it’s the date that’s giving you problems, delete it, and retype it only using numbers. The format should be ddmmyyyy. Ex: 27122019

I'm having the same issue, doesn't matter if I use / or not, it still says "the date doesn't look right. Please enter a valid date of birth" - this is very frustrating.

When entering the date of birth be sure to enter it as the day/month/year. 

You need to enter the slash in between.

vicpro22X

**bleep**ing frustrating🤣

When you enter the date of birth make sure that you enter it day/month/year.  If you child was born in 2022 you can't enter them on your 2021 tax return. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.