turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Scobeedew

Payment via Direct Debit

I selected to have my payment made via direct debit but the filing instructions printed a form and state I need to mail a payment.  How can I verify whether or not the payment will be debited so I don't double pay?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Payment via Direct Debit

If the forms that were printed were Forms 1040-ES those are used for making estimated tax payments for your 2020 taxes and are optional for you to use.  The Form 1040-ES is not reported to the IRS.

If the form was a Form 1040-V that is the payment voucher to be used when mailing a check to the IRS.  It is not used if you are having the federal taxes owed paid using direct debit from your bank account.

Scobeedew

Payment via Direct Debit

It is the form 1040-V, but I elected to pay via direct debit.  There's no date on the filing instructions as to when its due which is why I have the confusion.  Is there a way to find out if the direct debit will be the payment method or if it wasn't "approved" (For lack of a better term) and I need to send a check.  The State form shows the direct debit, but the federal does not.

Payment via Direct Debit

@Scobeedew wrote:

It is the form 1040-V, but I elected to pay via direct debit.  There's no date on the filing instructions as to when its due which is why I have the confusion.  Is there a way to find out if the direct debit will be the payment method or if it wasn't "approved" (For lack of a better term) and I need to send a check.  The State form shows the direct debit, but the federal does not.

How you chose to pay the federal taxes owed and the date of payment will be on the Federal Filing Instructions page included with your tax return.

Sign onto your TurboTax online account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down and click on Add a State.  This will take you back to the 2019 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen. Then click on Print Center. Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.

Scobeedew

Payment via Direct Debit

Thank you for the information.  I appreciate your suggestion.  However, the filing instructions contradict what I selected and do not have the complete information on them.  I don't know if there actually is an answer to the question since there is no place on the return that address the payment, only the refund.  Thanks again for your help.

Payment via Direct Debit

OK ... first if the filing instruction page said you choose to mail in the payment and there is a 1040-V in the PDF then you need to mail in a payment OR  go online with the IRS to make a debited payment.

IF  you still think that is incorrect then review the FILE tab and check your choice in STEP  2 but do NOT make any changes on that screen ... LOOK do not touch.  Any changes you make will NOT go to the IRS.  

osamarskiy
Returning Member

Payment via Direct Debit

I requested that my bank account be debited to pay my federal taxes for 2020. My state tax was already taken out of my bank account but I am still waiting for Federal Tax to be taken out. I also see 2021 Form 1040-ES Payment Vouchers attached to the tax return I filed herewith TurboTax. Does this mean that TurboTax did not set up to have my account debited directly from my bank account to pay for federal taxes and instead I'm expected to mail a check. My bank info is correct since the state has already taken out payment to cover my state taxes. 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Payment via Direct Debit

The payment is set up when your file your taxes, then the IRS processes the payment on or around the date designated.

To revise or view your payment dates, please use the IRS.gov website link below.    

https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
osamarskiy
Returning Member

Payment via Direct Debit

Hello,

The website which you provided: https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay  does not allow anyone to look up payments that were not paid directly through them. I filed here and set up my bank information, so I would not have the confirmation number they are asking for. And the routing transition number does not work as the confirmation number they ask for. Is there another number that TurboTax provides that can be used as a confirmation number here on this website?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Payment via Direct Debit

Others are having the issue of federal payments not being withdrawn on the date expected. It is an issue with the IRS. There will withdraw the payment soon.

Here is a link to a TurboTax help article about this issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Payment via Direct Debit

I have the same problem and also unable to view/confirm what tax due payment date was selected during e-file. This is crappy TT software - they should have saved the information (i.e. elected payment date) together with the other key e-file data. I vaguely remember that the date was sometime in the future. I also don't see the payment to the IRS from the bank account, but now I don't know, if this is because of the IRS glitch or the payment date hasn't come around yet.  I am following this thread and if anyone finds a way to retrieve the payment date specified during e-file I would appreciate that. Thank you.

Payment via Direct Debit

@capybarus wrote:

I have the same problem and also unable to view/confirm what tax due payment date was selected during e-file. This is crappy TT software - they should have saved the information (i.e. elected payment date) together with the other key e-file data. I vaguely remember that the date was sometime in the future. I also don't see the payment to the IRS from the bank account, but now I don't know, if this is because of the IRS glitch or the payment date hasn't come around yet.  I am following this thread and if anyone finds a way to retrieve the payment date specified during e-file I would appreciate that. Thank you.

How you chose to pay the federal taxes owed and the date selected for payment will be on the Filing Instructions page and on the Federal Information Worksheet in Part V.  Use Print Center and the option for all worksheet for these pages.

To access your current year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

Payment via Direct Debit

Thank you DoninGA  for your advice. I replied to the other thread that I tried, but a payment screen interferes with getting to where I can save the full package of forms and worksheets. I don't understand why this can't be made available easier.

Payment via Direct Debit

Hi All - DoninGA is right. It is possible to find electronic payment date in additional instructions that are not saved by default, but you can get from Print Center. You may have issues accessing it, if you have unfiled returns (even if you already paid and filed Federal). In the other thread DoninGA helped me get through the deletion of unwanted returns and then i was able to get to Print Center and ultimately saved a PDF that contained scheduled payment date. Good luck! https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-submitted-return-by-turbotax-4-1-2021-and-th...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies